When shopping for special gemstone jewelry, a good place to try is the vintage jewelry store Legacies Upscale Resale.
We sell jewelry with contemporary, vintage and antique gemstones at great prices. Our items are mostly pre-loved, but that makes them unique and extra-affordable.
- January is Garnet
- February is Amethyst
- March is Aquamarine
- April is Diamond
- May is Emerald
- June is Pearl
- July is Ruby
- August is Peridot
- September is Sapphire
- October is Opal
- November is Topaz
- December is Turquoise
The concept of birthstones goes back to the book of Exodus in the Bible, where Aaron’s breastplate was reputed to be inlaid with gemstones representing the twelve tribes of Israel.
1st and 5th century CE scholars Flavius Josephus and St. Jerome are credited with associating these breastplate gems with the 12 signs of the zodiac.
The modern birthstone connections we know today came about in the 18th century in Poland, when gem traders began selling stones based on a person’s birth month. In 1912 the National Association of Jewelers solidified the practice in the U.S.
Common Gemstone Meanings
For millennia, gems have been thought to possess spiritual and healing powers. They are also associated with different attributes such as luck, the ability to attract love, make the wearer calm, etc.
Here are some of the most common gemstones you will find in Legacies jewelry offerings and what they are thought to mean:
- The smoky green actinolite Cat’s Eye is known for both physical and spiritual healing, and can be used to balance the chakras. It is thought to produce soothing energies and awareness.
- Agates come in many colors and are said to bring abundance, wealth, balance, protection, safety at sea, love, security, courage and strength.
- Highly prized by royalty for centuries, purple amethysts are considered to protect, purify, aid weight loss, relieve headaches, improve decision-making and improve sleep.
- The deep-green emerald is a traditional stone worn to aid fertility, improve eyesight and give the wearer psychic powers.
- Garnet, usually a deep red color, symbolizes devotion to family, friends or the self. Garnet is also thought to attract good luck in business ventures.
- Serenity is found in jade, which is also considered to relieve anxiety and fear, and bring good luck. A traditional charm for gardeners, jade is said to ensure bountiful harvests.
- Opal is strongly associated with love and passion. It has also been found to promote spontaneity, imagination, dreams and healing.
- The blood-red ruby is famous as a protector from bad luck and health. It is used to open the heart. Given as a gift, ruby is a symbol of friendship and love. It also stands for vitality and royalty.
- Sapphire has associations with peace and happiness, and is believed to help with communication, insight, intuition, inspiration and prayer.
- Topaz is thought to stimulate and motivate, lead to truth and forgiveness, and cause the wearer to be more open and honest. It is believed to lead to good fortune, love, better communication, abundance and good health. Like many of the stones listed above, topaz is also soothing and relaxing.
- It has had many meanings over the centuries, but in modern gemology, turquoise is believed to offer protection and to help careers and travel. Turquoise is also thought to alleviate migraines and help the brain, eyes, ears, neck, lungs and throat.
When buying pre-owned jewelry, you are purchasing something no one else in your circle is wearing. Whether you want funky, timeless or brilliant, Legacies has got it.