Legacies: A Great Alternative to Donating to Goodwill
August 1, 2022
Got stuff you want to get rid of? You could go the online selling route, have an estate sale, donate to Goodwill, or try a middle ground: selling at Cincinnati consignment stores:
- Better than online selling because you get the stuff out of your house NOW, and if it doesn’t sell it will be considered a donation (you don’t have to come back to Legacies and pick it up).
- Better than Goodwill because you may earn some money for your items.
How Consignment Works at Legacies Upscale Resale
The first step is to send photos of your items in for evaluation (insert link for email addresses here) to the corresponding department. Please include a brief description of your items and any price expectations or provenance. If you are working on an estate, we may be able to come to you for an on-site visit.
Once an item is deemed marketable at Legacies, it’s time to make an agreement.
- First, you and Legacies sign a Consignor Contract.
- Then your items go on the Legacies sales floor, attractively merchandised for quick sale, and stay there for 60 days. Those that do not sell within 30 days are marked down 15 percent. If an item does not sell within 60 days, it will be considered donated.
- After 30 days, you receive 50% of your items’ net proceeds via mailed check.
You can also donate items to Legacies if you are not concerned about making money on them, or our assessment deems them to be of little resale value.
For more information about Legacies, email us at [email protected].
What We Take
These items—in good condition–tend to do well at Legacies Upscale Resale:
- Cocktail sets
- Royal Copenhagen
- Loving cups
- Baccarat and Waterford crystal
- Serving pieces
- Sterling silver
- Desk accessories
- Dressing table items (like ring holders and perfume bottles)
- Pyrex, Fire-King, Corning Ware, Jadeite
- Condiment sets
- McCoy stoneware
- Milk glass
- Henkel Harris
- Drexel Heritage
- Ethan Allen
- Lee Upholstery
- Mid-Century Modern
- Modular pieces from the 1970s and ’80s
- All things Art Deco and Art Nouveau
- Antique empty perfume bottles
- Duck decoys
- Flip clocks
- Christmas ornaments
- Art, posters and prints
- Objects D’Art
- Early Meissen
- Large Capodimonte Pieces
- Dresden Lace
- Rare Sevres
- Royal Nymphenburg
- Shaker boxes
- Flat-top trunks
- Alice Caviness
- Forbidden Fruits
- Miriam Haskell
- home accents
- Christmas ornaments
- West Germany
- Silver/Sterling Silver
- High-end/Antique Watches
- Fine jewelry
- Hermès scarves
- Michael Kors
- Dooney & Bourke
- Cole Haan
- Anne Klein
- Belts (high-end only)
Helping People Affected by Cancer
Legacies was founded to raise money to help individuals dealing with cancer. One hundred percent of donation proceeds go to Cancer Support Community (CSC). Consignment proceeds are split 50/50 between you and (CSC).
For nearly 30 years, CSC has been enhancing the lives of people in Greater Cincinnati with free support and services to their improve quality of life and survivorship.
Give Us a Try
There is no charge to open an account at Legacies, so it is always worth trying Legacies consignment for items you are ready to sell!