Making Money Selling on Consignment
February 1, 2023
Have home furnishings, decorative items, jewelry or artwork you don’t want any more that’s in good condition? Consignment can be a low-investment way to go, but how do you know what will sell?
The current merchandise at consignment stores in Cincinnati like Legacies Upscale Resale is a good guide: home goods; furniture; jewelry; boutique items like purses, wallets, scarves and belts; framed art. See what we have on the sales floor and select items to offer accordingly.
We only ask that your items be clean, in good condition and ready to sell.
What to Consign at Legacies
If you have an entire estate or are downsizing, we can do a site visit to evaluate your items. Please email [email protected] to inquire.
Here are items we find sell well and how to place them with us:
- Home goods are accepted by emailing pictures to [email protected]. Approved items will be scheduled for a drop off on Wednesday or Fridays between 10am-2pm. We ask that your items be valued at a minimum of $15. Items valued under $15 are considered donations. All items need to be cleaned, polished and free of chips or cracks.
- Furniture: Send pictures to [email protected] or bring in your pictures. Please call or email before coming in to ensure that a team member is available. You are responsible for moving your furniture to Legacies. If requested, we can provide you with a list of movers who work with us.
- Jewelry consignment is by appointment ONLY on Thursdays and Fridays. Jewelry can be dropped off Tuesday-Friday from 10:30am-3:30pm ONLY IF each item is in its own plastic bag, marked with your consignor number, and an intake and drop off acceptance form is completed when dropping off.
Call to schedule or email [email protected]. We ask that your jewelry items be valued at a minimum of $15. Items valued under $15 are automatically considered donations.
- We accept appointments for high-end boutique items on Friday mornings. To make an appointment email [email protected], or call 513-304-2430.
We ask that your items be valued at a minimum of $25. Items valued under $25 are automatically considered donations. Items may be dropped off Tuesday–Friday from 10:30am to 4:30pm.
All items must be clearly marked with your consignor number, and intake and drop-off acceptance forms must be completed when dropping items off.
- Artwork is consigned by appointment ONLY on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 11:30am to 3:00pm. Please email [email protected] with photos of artwork to be considered, to set an appointment, or for more information.
How are Items Priced?
Legacies’ merchandising teams set prices based on our sales experience and research. We make every effort to get the best price for you that will also benefit Cancer Support Community of Greater Cincinnati and NKY.
What if Items don’t Sell?
Items are on the floor for 60 days. Those that do not sell within 30 days, including furniture, are automatically marked down 15%.
You may pick up unsold items any time during the 60-day consignment period for a 25% reclamation fee. If any item is not picked up within 60 days, the price is reduced by 50% and the proceeds from the sales amount is then donated to Cancer Support Community.
How Consignors are Paid
You receive 50% of the item’s sale price via a check sent by U.S. mail in the month after the item is sold. Example: If you sell items in November, you receive a check in December. In order to provide this service, Legacies will deduct a $1 processing fee from your account for each month a check is issued.
What We Don’t Take
- Large appliances
- Gym equipment
- Unframed artwork